Sunday, December 4, 2011

ready or not...

I am forcing myself not to enter freak-out mode.  Adeline's surgery is 4 days away.  I flinch at every sniffle or sneeze.  I want to bathe her in hand-sanitizer.  I know I was the same way before her first surgery and she did have a little cold when she went in.  I was terrified, but the anesthesiologists thought she was fine.  I obviously would never wish for them to perform surgery if she is ill, but it would be devastating to have to start from the top again.

Adeline opened an amazing care package sent by Cranio Care Bears, an organization dedicated spread awareness and provide support and compassion to families of children facing surgery for craniosynostosis.

I bawled thankful tears while she tore through the over-stuffed box, but she had a ball.  She even found M&M's...she was a very happy girl! (She still has scabs and bruises on the right side of her face from falling on the cement last Monday.  I guess she thought I needed more proof that she is tough!)

We spent Saturday afternoon doing Nile, Daddy and Mommy-only things.  We went to the movie "Puss in Boots".  Nile even got his own kids popcorn and drink.  And he sat in his dad's lap through the whole movie. We wanted to show him that he is still our very special boy.  And he deserves all of the attention in the world. It felt good.  Our wonderful neighbors watched Adeline.  It was Lauren's first time babysitting so (even though her mom was with her the whole time) she really enjoyed it.  And so did Adeline.  It was a win-win-win day.

Father Merlin performed The Anointing of the Sick this morning after mass.  Grandma and Grandpa Matthes, Great Grandma Jo Jo and Aunt Julie made a special trip to Sioux City to go to mass and be present during the sacrament.  Adeline squirmed and talked and "No, No, No!"-ed us during the entire mass - well, until Aaron took her out - but she quietly on my lap and listened to Father Merlin while he was praying over her and anointing her forehead with the oil.  It was almost like she knew it was pretty special.  And she allowed us to feel the peace and comfort that only God can provide.  It felt really good.

Grandma and Grandpa stayed and we all went to Disney Live! presents Three Classic Fairy Tales.  My heart was very happy cuddling with my little princess as she watched the characters sing and dance across the stage. I don't think I have ever seen her concentrate on something for so long.  Her eyes were WIDE open and excited.  Until about 1/3 of the way through and she had had enough - then she was more interested in climbing the stairs of the Orpheum lobby.  It is a very pretty lobby.

I have made sure she has barrettes in her hair whenever possible.  And her head has received a record number of kisses.

The insurance company sent us letters approving the surgery and hospitalization.  The Rainbow House is holding a room for us.  My parents will pick Nile up from school on Wednesday. Our dog, Ceda, is staying with Tim and Heather.  My FMLA paperwork has been approved.  "Let's Rock Elmo" has been practicing his show. Her Pre-Op appointment with Dr. Rehan is tomorrow.

Prayers are flowing.

We are ready.


  1. I'll be thinking of & praying for you guys. hugs!

  2. Sending good thoughts and prayers!!!

  3. I have been thinking about you so much lately and wanted to let you know that! Your Adeline is the CUTEST and such a special little girl. I am praying specifically for her comfort, excellent results and pain control during and after her surgery. I am also praying for YOU and that you feel every bit of God's mercy and love for you during this time. Hang in there Trisha!