Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Pre-op appointment #1

Adeline had a pre-op appointment with Dr. Rehan yesterday.  She's good to go!  Dr. Rehan kept giving her hugs and kisses, telling us (and herself) that everything was going to be alright.  We are so lucky to have found such a wonderful pediatrician.  We went to the St. Luke's Lab for a blood draw after.  The ladies there were great - Adeline smiled and laughed at the phlebotomist...until she stuck her finger.  Aaron and I were both there watching.  I'm surprised how well we took it, but the phlebotomist did a really good job.  Adeline looked at me and screamed "MOM! how can you just stand there and let this girl do this to me!" She was fine by the time we got back to the car. 
The surgery isn't scheduled until 3:00 pm, but I wouldn't be surprised if it starts even later.  I know that she will have to be NPO for the majority of the day, but I am hoping that they will let me feed her in the early morning at least.  She is a 20 lb 6 1/2 month old baby ...(and that's with her shoes off)...  She is going to be MAAAAD by 3:00 pm.  Dr. Rehan thinks they will have us come in earlier to get the I.V. started and keep her hydrated with I.V. fluids.  I really hope so.  I have started thousands of I.V.s, but there is no way I will be able to watch them start hers.  It makes me sick to think about it.
Dr. Rehan told Aaron that the blood work looked good, but her red blood cells were a little light (I'm guessing that means there were a smaller number that what she had hoped) so we have started her on an iron supplement.
She had a miserable day at the sitter today.  She barely ate again, and she just cried and cried.  It could have been a tummy ache - the antibiotic she was on has caused some diarrhea, and it may be causing a tummy ache.  It could be teething.  Since Dr. Rehan just saw her yesterday and she was VERY healthy, I'm thinking it was just a one day thing.  But if it is a headache at least we have less than a week to wait.  Joann gave her Tylenol (she can't have Ibuprofen until after the surgery), but it didn't really do anything.  I put her to bed early, and she fell to sleep fast, so maybe it has passed.  And sometimes babies just have a really bad day.  Thank God Joann has the patience to keep loving her...even if it meant that the Christmas party had to postponed until tomorrow.  Poor kids!  When she is all better Adeline is going to owe them a pizza party...with no crying!

1 comment:

  1. We are praying for you and your beautiful baby girl. Have a joyous Christmas and thank you for your wonderful posts. Mabel Hamling

    ReplyDelete